Behind the achievements of those working on the COVID-19 front line there are many organisations and entrepreneurs doing what they can to help fight against the disease.

Cargo X

This logistics company based in one of the worst affected countries, Brazil, has created a fund of $5.6 million to support the transport of essential goods, foods and medical supplies throughout the country. 

The scheme works by paying the wages of carriers and drivers ensuring the market keeps going at a time when the country is being hit hard by the virus. Using a split payment method, the system pays 70% upfront and the remaining 30% when the goods are loaded upon delivery. Thereby the software is helping spread the cost and supports when cash flow can be tight. 


As illustrated through track-and-trace schemes, data will play an important role in controlling and ultimately beating COVID-19. Dawex, a French based company, has opened up a coronavirus data exchange initiative, a free and easy-to-use platform, allowing its participants to securely source, publish and exchange non-personal data with public and private organisations, and other stakeholders aiming at stopping the virus’ progression and its economic impact.


This South Korean medical software company has developed artificial intelligences that can diagnose lung diseases via X-ray images. This technology is now free online and Hospitals in South America and Asia are able to upload 20 cases per day for the AI to diagnose.

Starling Bank

With everyone categorised as a ‘vulnerable person’ around the UK having to self-isolate at some point, staying at home when you live alone can lead you to be dependent on others for food and other essentials. But the question is how to pay them?

Starling Bank has one solution for this: a debit card that allows a trusted individual to make purchases on the owner’s behalf. This is known as the  “Connected card†and is linked to the owner’s account. Helping to remove the need for any physical exchange of cash or cheques, providing an extra layer of protection for a vulnerable person.

This is not the only cashless alternative like this available – Mastercard and prepaid card firm PFS have also developed something similar for carers and volunteers.


Getting the protective equipment to the front-line has been a logistical nightmare during the course of the pandemic. Mirakl, an e-commerce firm, and the French government have partnered together manufacturers, distributors and subcontractors to create a one-stop platform where they can communicate about orders for the medical use of hand sanitizer.